The UCF Knights rode another dominant second half for the second straight week to blow past the Houston Cougars 44-29 in the annual Space Game at Spectrum Stadium. The Knights are now 7-2, 4-1 in The American, and may be knocking on the door of the Top 25 on Sunday.
Here are your instant reactions:
1. First half: YIKES. Houston laced the Knights’ right side for 206 rushing yards in the first half. It was Memphis-esque:
The Knights gave up season-high 206 rushing yards in the first half. Their season-high for rushing yards allowed in a full game prior to this was 196 at Pitt. #UCF— Brian Murphy (@Spokes_Murphy) November 2, 2019
2. Second half: LIKES! Randy Shannon’s defense adjusted just fine after the half, thank you, holding Houston to just 6 points, 62 total yards (34 rushing on 21 carries) and even scoring two of their own on a safety.
3. The Passing Game was consistent. With Houston keying run, it was time for DIllon Gabriel to shine, and he did just that. He threw for 298 and three TDs and was consistent in both halves. He even RAN for a TD!
UCF Astronauts take the lead! Dillon Gabriel 22 yard TD run!! pic.twitter.com/ubLg137Wu5— I'M SEEING GHOSTS (@FTBeard11) November 2, 2019
4. Loss Leaders. UCF’s defense racked up 17 tackles for loss and five sacks. That will help your cause in the second half.
Stat of the Game
#UCF now has a season-high 17 TFLs to go along with five sacks.— Brian Murphy (@Spokes_Murphy) November 2, 2019
Knights of the Night
- Dillon Gabriel - 21/30, 298 yards, 3 TDs, plus a 22-yard rushing TD
- Tre Nixon - 6 catches, 123 yards, 2 TDs
- Nate Evans - 12 tackles, 2 TFLs
- Antwan Collier - 10 tackles, 1 TFL
At Tulsa next Friday night at 7 p.m. on ESPN2. Tulsa is playing at Tulane on ESPN2 right now.