The Preseason Associated Press Top 25 is out and the UCF Knights will begin the 2019 campaign ranked 17th.
17th is the identical ranking the Knights got in the Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Just like in that poll, the Knights are also the lone team from a non-A5 conference to be ranked. Army, an independent, came in two spots out. Boise State was 8 spots out and Cincinnati was 9.
This is despite being left off the ballot by some AP voters.
Among teams in The American, only UCF, Cincinnati and Memphis drew any votes.
Some other notables:
- The top five went Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio State.
- LSU, who handed UCF its most recent loss, starts 6th.
- Florida is 8th.
- Stanford, UCF’s opponent in Week 3, is 25th.
- Three teams - #11 Oregon, #14 Utah and #16 Auburn - were ranked ahead of UCF despite being unranked to finish last season.
- Miami and Florida State are both unranked. Florida State didn’t even receive a vote.
UCF started at #21 in the AP poll last season. They peaked at #7 in the poll prior to the Fiesta Bowl, and finished 11th.
The Knights have now been ranked in 28* consecutive AP polls. The last time UCF was unranked was in the week prior to the Knights’ regular season victory over Memphis in the third game of the 2017 season.
* - Previously we said it was 25. That was wrong. Thanks to @UCFSportsInfo for clearing that up. Give him or her ( ♂️) a follow if you don’t already.